Tuesday 21 April 2009

The importance of taking a fresh air break

Today my two little noise merchants returned to their schools. I feel sorry for their teachers!

Peace and tranquility returned to my office. I did miss having them around to remind me to take regular breaks and walk the dog. Fortunately the dog has an impeccable sense of time and knows when to lean her head on my knee to remind me to take her out. During her walks I usually find that my mind goes for a wander and comes up with some great ideas or solutions to earlier issues.

Thank goodness for the walk today. I managed some fantastic problem solving during the first mile and was more than ready to get home and try out my newly discovered solutions... the best bit is they worked.

Maybe we should give ourselves permission to take a decent break away from the desk/office. It's no good playing solitaire... you need to move away from the desk and away from the computer screen for this to work well. If anyone asks what you're doing, you can honestly say you are busy with some creative problem solving.

Today's decent achievement came in the form of producing a basic training package which can be adapted to suit any company using only PowerPoint and Articulate Presenter and Quiz maker. After a few tweaks here and there, it was ready to test...could I make the presentation start on the click of a link on my website. The trick is knowing which file launches the presentation and making the link point to the correct file. It's not immediately apparent which of the many files does this but I'm pleased to report that I got it right first time. Victory dance round the office!

The bulk of work I have left for this current project is to create content for each web page. I have tasked myself with working on a definition of e-learning... I shall sleep on it and let you know how I get on tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that there isn't a definitive definition. Let me know what you think...

1 comment:

  1. just testing to see if this Post a Comment thingy works.

    ReplyDelete